Featured Post

Contacting me

With Twitter not going great. I thought I just create and pin this on my blogspot so I can be reached if for some reason people actually wan...

Saturday, May 26, 2018

My misadventures with learning how to cook.

A few years ago I decided to learn to cook. Well, more of learning to make more than instant noodles.

I figure the easiest way to learn is to start learning how to make some of the food I eat out like Japanese Ramen, curry etc.

So now in 2018. I learned how to make food scambled eggs, poached eggs, some simple pan meats, some soups etc.

Honestly what I learn is nothing great. My mum probably beats me hands down in the same stuff. I do feel a lot happier now I can make some food without resorting to instant noodles. (Though I still love instant noodles)

I also learned that it is alright to use like pre-done stuff for cooking. Like chicken stock for, powdered dashi instead boiling bonito flakes, using curry mix again instead of making your own.

That lesson was taught by my Mum (Thanks Mum) and well she did say there is not a lot of reason to make everything from scratch unless you have some secret recipe for certain ingredients or simply wanted a dish to have a different taste.

 As for the whole experience of learning how to cook. Well, it is nothing really new to anyone learning how to cook, lots of under-cooked / over-cooked stuff. Burnt more eggs than I dare to admit. Not to mention my knife skills so poor, the slices of meat looked more like something that came out of a 5-year-old trying to cut meat with a pair of scissors.

So I will appeal to more people to learn how to cook. You may not be the winner for the next MasterChef but you gain some satisfaction that you can take care of yourself better.

P.S. My knife skills are still bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment